I tried a few existing recipes for low carb pizza and was quite disappointed, as they were either more like omelettes, or gritty with coconut or almond flour. The biggest strike against them was that they were limp – definitely not the crisp, yeasty finger food I was wanting!
I decided to invent one. I knew basically what ingredients I wanted to use (based loosely on my tempura batter) and that it had to have a yeasty ‘bread’ taste. I also knew it would have some cheese in the crust (like the infamous ‘fat head pizza’) and that it had to be so overwhelmingly ‘legit’ that someone who wasn’t eating low carb or keto would enjoy it. Finally, it had to be good cold, too – after all, who doesn’t like cold pizza?
To my delight, I practically nailed it on the first try.
If you’re like me and love pizza, I hope you will enjoy this one.
- (125 ml) + 2 Tbsp (50 ml) unflavored whey isolate powder
- baking powder, sifted
- 3 oz. (100 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 oz. (100 g) three cheese mixture (mozzarella, provolone, parmasan), finely grated
- 2 oz. (30 gm) full fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast, dissolved in 2 Tbsp warm water
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the egg and egg yolk and add the softened cream cheese. Drizzle in the olive oil as if making a salad dressing (so it is suspended in the egg / cream cheese mixture. Once the yeast has proofed (foamed), mix it into the liquid. Stir well.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ones.
Note: The dough will a thick batter.
- Using a non-stick pizza pan (or a regular baking sheet lined with parchment paper), use the back of a spoon to smooth the dough into a 10-inch circle.
- Place a piece of wax paper or parchment paper on top and gently roll with a rolling pin. When you remove the wax (or parchment paper), scrape any batter sticking to it onto the dough.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Don’t overcook.
- Remove the crust from the oven and top with your favourite pizza sauce and toppings.
- Once the pizza is topped, return it to the oven to bake until the cheese is melted and it is just beginning to brown.
- Allow to cool a few minutes, then slide the crispy pizza to a serving board, cut, serve and enjoy!