If you are a physician or allied health provider and would like to learn more about the scientific evidence for recommending a low carbohydrate diet to your patients, I’ve written over 270 articles the last several years (most of which are fully referenced) and which appear under the Food for Thought tab.
To save you time, I’ve selected some articles that I feel would be of particular interest to healthcare professionals and organized them by topic, below.
How to Refer Someone
If you would like to refer one of your patients to me please fax the following form to me to the fax number on it.
Oldies But Goodies
- Are You Pushing Your Pancreas Too Hard – estimating β-cell function
- Why Grazing Can Look Like a Scene From Hoarders
- The Three Stages of Carbohydrate Intolerance – before type 2 diabetes
Diabetes Canada Low Carb Meal Plan
- Diabetes Canada’s “Low Carb” Meal Plan – a closer look – new!
- Diabetes Canada – “healthy” low carbohydrate meal plan– new!
- Diabetes Canada Deems Low Carb and Very Low Carb Diet Safe and Effective – new!
- New ADA Standards of Medical Care Includes Low Carbohydrate Diet
- US Assn. of Diabetes Educators Taught Person-Centered Low Carb Plans –
- US Association of Diabetes Educators Teaches Evidence for Low Carb Diet –
- WHO Draft Guidelines on Saturated Fat Excludes Key Facts and Studies
- ADA’s New Consensus Report – one page printout
- ADA: Brain’s need for glucose can be fulfilled by the body
- ADA Eating Patterns Differ from The Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- ADA includes use of a Very Low Carb (Keto) Eating Pattern in New Report
- New ADA Report: reducing carb intake has most evidence for improving blood sugar
- American Diabetes Association: Very Low Carb Diet is the most powerful for treating T2D
- American Diabetes Association Low Carb Recommendations – one page printout
- Low Carb Diet in 2019 American Diabetes Association Standards of Care
- ADA Deems Low Carb Diet Medical Nutrition Therapy for T2D
- ADA & European Association Classify Low Carb Diets as Medical Nutrition Therapy
- American Diabetes Association & European Association Approve Low Carb Diets
- Low Carbohydrate Eating for People with Diabetes – new position statement
- Diabetes Canada 2018 Clinical Practice Guidelines – option of a low carb diet
Review of Studies
- American College of Cardiology: No Benefit to Lower Saturated Fat Intake – new!
- New Study in Older Light — lower CVD may be due to lower triglycerides
- Significance of New Study: Lower LDL Associated with Lower Risk of CVD
- New Study: Why Eating Less and Exercising More Matters As We Age
- Long-Term Benefits of a Ketogenic Diet – 2 year update
- Do Low Carb Diets Shorten Lifespan?
- Stanford Study Documents Abnormal Glucose Spikes in ‘Healthy’ People
- Consumption of Dairy Fat Doesn’t Increase the Risk of CVD — may protect
- CVD Risk Improves By Use of Ketogenic Diet in Type 2 Diabetes at 1 year
- New Study – More Animal Fat Consumption less cardiovascular disease
- New Low Fat versus Low Carb Diet Study – when a tie is not a win
- New Study: Reversal in T2D Symptoms can be Sustained Long Term
- Evidence that Low Carb Diets are Safe and Effective
- Are Low Carbohydrate Diets Linked to Risk of Premature Death?
- Low Fat Calorie Restricted Diet versus Low Carbohydrate Diet – a two year study
- Four Diets over Two Years – long term findings
- Are Low Carbohydrate Diets Safe and Effective
- Evidence for Remission of Type 2 Diabetes Symptoms using LCHF
- New Obesity Study Sheds Light on Dietary Recommendations
- Obesity Pandemic – new study
Common Concerns & Misconceptions
- How Much Protein Interferes with Ketosis or Stresses the Kidneys? – new
- A Keto Diet is NOT About How Much Fat it Contains – new
- Is a High Carbohydrate Diet Appropriate for Humans? – new
- Ten Questions and Answers About Keto Diets – from Twitter polls
- Is it Possible to be a Vegetarian and Eat Low Carb or Keto?
- Which Protein Foods Are Best for Weight Loss on a Low Carb / Keto Diet?
- What Makes a Diet Low Carb or Keto is NOT How Much Fat it Contains
- Keto Diet Doesn’t Cure Diabetes
- Lowering LDL and Saturated Fat to Lower Risk of Cardiovascular Disease Part 2
- High Cholesterol and the Risk of Cardiovascular Disease – Part 1
- But Low Carb Diets Eliminate an Entire Food Group!
- New Study: Dietary Saturated Fat is Not Associated with Increased Risk of CVD
- Misconceptions About the Keto Diet
- Is Low Carb eating really not sustainable?
- Fact and Fallacy of a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) Diet
- Surprising ways to get adequate fiber eating LCHF
Low Carb & Ketogenic Diets
- Individual Meal Plan versus ‘Personalized’ or “Customized’ Meal Plans
- Another Therapeutic Ketogenic Diet and How it Differs from “the Keto Diet”
- The Stereotypical High Fat Keto Diet is Only ONE Type
- Is the Keto Diet a Potentially Dangerous and Unhealthy Diet?
- Low Carb Foods That May Help Protect Against the Flu
- Some Carbs Are Better Than Others – Part 4 – the Insulin Index
- Some Carbs are Better than Others (for Diabetics) – Part 3
- Some Carbs Are Better Than Others – Part 2 – Glycemic Load
- Some Carbs Are Better Than Others – Part 1 – Glycemic Index
- Low Carb Diets are not one size fits all
- Curious About Keto?
- Which Low Carb Diet?
- Increasing the Time Between Meals: Intermittent Fasting
- A LCHF Diet
- What is a Low Carb High Fat Ketogenic Diet?
Canadian Dietary Guidelines
- Focus on Limiting Ultra Processed Food Not Saturated Fat & Sodium
- Canada Food Guide Snapshot: Limit Real Whole Food or Ultra-Processed?–
- Canada Food Guide: what is unlikely to change as new evidence emerges
- New Canada Food Guide – carbohydrate estimate of the sample plate
- The New Canada Food Guide – high carbohydrate & limited saturated fat
- 1977 Dietary Recommendations — forty years on
- Obesity Rates in Canada and Changes to Canada’s Food Guide
- Canada’s Food Guide – an Epidemiological Experiment Gone Terribly Wrong?
Of Importance to Healthcare Practitioners
- A Hundred Years of Treating Diabetes with a Low Carb and Ketogenic Diet new!
- A Choice: Living With Diabetes, Seeking Remission From Diabetes-new!
- No Underlying Health Conditions – and why we often don’t really know– A Choice: Living With Diabetes, Seeking Remission From Diabetes
- Why Most People Regain Weight Loss – understanding stages of change
- Two Clinical Reactions: seeing the possibilities or being a pessimist
- Achieving the “Impossible”: from injecting insulin to achieving target HbA1C
- From Injecting Insulin to Normalized Blood Sugar – in 10 weeks
- Trouble-shooting Chronic Constipation on a Low Carb Diet
- What is IBS and Why Do Symptoms Improve on a Low Carb Diet?
- Only Half of People Have Newer Gene that Controls High Blood Sugar
- Lowering LDL and Saturated Fat to Lower Risk of Cardiovascular Disease – Part 2
- From Injecting Insulin to a Low Carb Diet – the first two weeks
- High Cholesterol and the Risk of Cardiovascular Disease Part 1
- Don’t Try This at Home – the need for medication supervision
- Importance of Waist Circumference & Waist to Height Ratio
- Are You Pushing Your Pancreas Too Hard?
- Insulin Resistance, Hyperinsulinemia and Hyperglycemia
- There Are Officially Two Stages BEFORE a Diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes
- Carbohydrate Intolerance & the Chronic Disease Risk of High Insulin Levels
- Unreliability of Many Blood Glucose Monitors – cause for concern
- How Much Carbohydrate is Essential in the Diet?
- Beyond “Eat to Your Meter” For Better Blood Sugar Control
- Five Pounds or Fifty Pounds of Fat – in very real terms
- How to Distinguish Food from Food-like Products
- How Reliable is Glycemic Index for Predicting Blood Sugar Response?
- How Carb-Containing Food Affects Blood Sugar Compared to Table Sugar
- Complex Carbohydrates as Long Chains of Sugar Molecules
- American Heart Association: Some Kids & Teens at Risk for Premature CVD
- EAT-Lancet Diet – inadequate protein for older adults
- The New EAT Lancet Diet – a healthy & sustainable diet for whom?
- The Difference Between Reversal and Remission of Type 2 Diabetes
- When Normal Fasting Blood Glucose Results Aren’t Necessarily “Fine”
- A New Estimator of Whole Body Fat Percentage
- Is Coconut Oil “Pure Poison”?
- The Tip of the Iceberg – the much bigger problem of high insulin levels
- Alzheimer’s Disease as Glucose Dysfunction in the Brain
- Important Warning Signs of Developing Type 2 Diabetes
- The Perils of Food Processing – Part 1
- The Perils of Food Processing – Part 2
- How Much Does Your Type 2 Diabetes Cost per Year?
- Sugar Industry Paid Researchers that Blamed Saturated Fat as Cause of Heart Disease
- The Role of Protein in the Diet – importance in adults and older adults
- Part 1: What is Insulin Resistance?
- Part 2: How is Insulin Resistance Measured?
- Insulin and Leptin – very different effects in lean versus overweight people
- Humans – the perfect hybrid machine
- The Limitations of Common Ways of Determining Weight Loss
- Carbs or Fat – which one should we eat less of?
- No Underlying Health Conditions – and why we often don’t really know– new!
- Better Outcome in Covid-19 and T2D with Well-Controlled Blood Sugars –
- Too Much and Too Little is Killing Us- reducing comorbidities
- Obesity Most Significant Risk Factor to Covid-19 Hospitalization after Age
- Obesity Poses Significant Risk to People less than 60 years with Covid-19 –
- Why Underlying or Comorbid Conditions are Very Important in COVID-19 –
If you would like additional information or have questions, please send me a note using the Contact Me form on the tab, above and I will reply as soon as I am able.
I look forward to helping support your practice and the care of your patients.
Joy Y. Kiddie, MSc RD