This recipe is posted as a courtesy to those following a variety of low-carb and ketogenic diets (not necessarily Meal Plans designed by me). This recipe may or may not be appropriate for you.
I’d heard of cauliflower crust pizza but had also heard that it gets notoriously soggy shortly after coming out of the oven. Recently, a few people were remarking how much they like the taste but wish there was something that could be done about the texture – which I took it as a challenge. With a little thought and a fair amount of experience, I created a light, crisp cauliflower pizza crust that is a lovely change from “fathead-style” pizzas.
I started with a few basic cauliflower recipes and took the best of each and then added low-carb ingredients that would both improve the nutrient profile and solve the texture issue. Boom! Done.
For those looking for a crisp and light cauliflower pizza crust, the recipe is below.
Note: I had a hard time deciding between the crisp cauliflower crust and the Crisp Keto Pizza that I created last winter. You may need to do as I did last week and make both, to decide.
Crispy Cauliflower Pizza Crust – makes 8 slices
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into flowerettes
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 egg, large
1 cups mozzarella, grated
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp whey protein isolate powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup garlic and herb pizza sauce
1 cups mozzarella, grated
[optional: additional toppings of your choice]
- wash the cauliflower, break into flowerettes and pulse in a food processor or industrial blender until a fine powder (like rice).
- place ‘riced’ cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave for 3 minutes on high, then let sit for 3 minutes.
- transfer cooked cauliflower to a clean, linen tea-towel and allow to cool.
- preheat the oven to 425 F.
- once the cauliflower is cooled, gather up the tea-towel and wring out as much of the water as possible, being careful not to mash the cauliflower (only wring the water out).
- place the wrung out cauliflower in a non-metallic bowl, with the beaten egg, salt, Parmesan, mozzarella, whey protein powder and baking powder and mix by hand until well combined.
- transfer the mixture to a non-stick pizza pan and pat down with your hand until it fills the pan
- bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- if using immediately, add the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese (and any additional toppings of your choice) and bake for 10 minutes more, until the cheese is nicely melted and bubbly. Enjoy!
Macros (per slice)
Protein: 30.6 g
Net Carbs: 8.7 g
Fat: 17.7 g
Energy: 336 kcal
You can follow me at: