This souffle recipe is posted as a courtesy to those following a variety of low-carb and ketogenic diets (not necessarily Meal Plans designed by me). This recipe may or may not be appropriate for you.
When I was in my early teens, one of my favourite convenience foods was Stouffer’s® Spinach Souffle. I’m unsure whether it was discontinued or may still be available in eastern Canada, but it’s not in stores in Vancouver.
Stouffer’s® web page lists the ingredients in their Spinach Souffle as spinach, skim milk, eggs, water, soybean oil, modified tapioca starch, 2% or less bleached wheat flour, sugar, salt, and spice.
My keto version of Spinach Souffle uses spinach, whole eggs and egg whites, heavy cream, a touch of Parmesan, freshly ground salt and pepper and that’s it! There are no industrial seed oils, no flour and no sugar.
Here’s my recipe. It is delicious as a vegetarian main course along with a spring green salad, or as a side dish to your favourite main.
6 large eggs
4 egg whites
2 cups (500 ml) heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup (50 g) Parmesan cheese, grated
2 x 300 g frozen chopped spinach (total 3 cups), defrosted and squeezed dry
- Preheat convection oven with fan on to 400 °F (204 °C).
- Grease the sides and the bottom of an oval Pyrex dish with butter (or use non-stick spray)
- In a deep bowl, crack the eggs and beat well with a fork, then add the egg whites, and beat some more. Add the heavy whipping cream and mix well.
- Squeeze the defrosted spinach well until it is as dry as possible, then add it to the bowl with the eggs, cream and Parmesan*. Season well with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- When the oven is preheated, fill the Pyrex dish with the egg mixture and bake at 400 °F (204 °C) for one hour (or until nicely browned and well risen.
* for those sensitive to oxalates, blanching the spinach in boiling water and then shocking it in an ice bath before squeezing it dry will significantly lower the oxalate content. A 2005 study found that boiling high oxalate vegetables can reduce oxalates by as much as 87% (J. Agric. Food Chem. 2005, 53, 8, 3027-3030, https://doi.org/10.1021/jf048128d)
Serve and enjoy!
If you would like more information about the services I provide please have a look under the Services tab. If you have questions, please feel free to send me a note using the Contact Me form above, and I will reply as soon as I can.
You can follow me on:
Copyright ©2019 LCHF-RD (a division of BetterByDesign Nutrition Ltd.)